#NYFW Backstage Beauty: Houghton Fall 2012 with L’Oréal and Make Up For Ever
Glamazons, I was fortunate enough to get backstage access at Houghton’s Fall 2012 fashion show with L’Oréal and Make Up For Ever. Houghton debuted an ethereal all-white collection with old Hollywood glamour beauty looks to match.
Hair Look & Inspiration: L’Oréal
For the runway L’Oréal lead and master stylist Laura Polko collaborated with Houghton deisgner Katharine Polk to create three effortless Old Hollwood looks. It was all about bold and beautiful romantic curls. We chatted with Laura who told us she found inspiration for the beauty looks in the Fall 2012 Houghton lookbook. Check out our video interview and see each look below!
Here’s a before and after shot. Glamazing, right?
Interested in recreating the looks from Houghton’s Fall 2012 show? Here’s what you ‘ll need: L’Oréal Professionnel Infinium (regular hold working spray), L’Oréal Professionnel Densité (thickening primer), L’Oréal Professionnel Lumi Contrôle (modeling nutri-wax), L’Oréal Professionnel Mousse Volupté (magnifying mousse), a round barrel brush and hair pins.
To create Look #1:
1. Create an extreme deep left side part and work in two golf ball sized amounts of L’Oréal Professionnel Mousse Volupté or L’Oréal Professionnel Densité.
2. Rough dry and use a round brush, holding parallel at the crown to part hair in an upward and over direction to the right (to create height).
3. Section hair from ear to ear.
4. Starting in back of hair, create 1 ½ – 2 inch sections.
5. Position the 1 ½ inch barrel under the hair, spray with L’Oréal Professionnel Infinium 2 hairspray, and wrap hair over the iron, twisting it as you go.
6. Curl both sides of the hair with the iron using an upward motion then release.
7. Loosen curls with fingers.
8. Set hair with L’Oréal Professionnel Infinium 2 hairspray.
9. Make sure hair is tucked behind left ear, spray and then tuck again.
To create Look #2:
1. Create Look #1.
2. Apply L’Oréal Professionnel Lumi Contrôle L’Oréal Professionnel Lumi Controle and use a fine-toothed comb to work hair into small sections. Slick hair behind the left ear.
3. Apply L’Oréal Professionnel Lumi Controle on the other side of part, and at the crown.
4. Finish with L’Oréal Professionnel Infinium 2 hairspray.
To create Look #3:
1. Create Look #2.
2. In the back, section hair down the middle vertically.
3. Twist each section and knot hair together 2 or 3 times depending on length of hair.
4. Secure bun with pins. Hide the ends of the pins, but toughen up the bun and keep pins flat to the head.
5. Finish with L’Oréal Professionnel Infinium 2 hairspray.
Also, to finish off each look with a bang, L’Oréal used Fresh Dust (hair powder/dry shampoo) which we first caught a glimpse at backstage at Elene Cassis Spring 2012 Show. Something tells me Fresh Dust will end up being a Fashion Week must-have. The great thing about Fresh Dust, when used in moderation, is that it doesn’t cake up hair with oil, works for all hair types/textures and adds a luminous amount of volume. And it debuts in April! You can visit L’Oréal Professionnel online for more updates regarding the release of Fresh Dust and to purchase any of the products mentioned to re-create the runway looks.
Make Up Look & Inspiration: Make Up For Ever
For the runway, the make up look was all about the lips and the eyes. From what we’ve seen so far, we can already tell that the classic red lip will be a budding trend next fall. Here’s what the lead MUA had to say about the inspiration behind each look:
Beautiful right? Check out shots of the gorgeous makeup backstage and on the runway:
And we’ve got even more backstage photos below:
What do you think of Houghton’s backstage beauty looks, Glamazons? Will you try it next season?
Love & Fashion,
Photo Credit: Glamazons Blog/Jesse Fiorino